Is it bad to use Afrin everyday?
“Afrin is safe and effective when used for three days,” said a spokeswoman for its maker, Schering-Plough. “We do not support extended use of this product.” Though it is not entirely clear why, the blood vessels in the nasal lining quickly become tolerant to the drugs’ shrinking effects.
Can you use Afrin long-term?
Afrin should not be used for the long–term relief of nasal congestion, as the overuse of Afrin beyond a few days may lead to rebound congestion. If you suffer from chronic nasal congestion, you may wish to pursue alternative prescription therapy with the use of a nasal corticosteroid.
Can Afrin cause long-term damage?
Nasal spray addiction is not a true “addiction,” but it can lead to tissue damage inside the nose. This can result in swelling and long–term stuffiness that leads to further use and overuse of the spray. In some cases, a person may need to undergo additional treatment, and possibly surgery, to correct any damage.
How long can you use Afrin?
To spray, squeeze bottle quickly and firmly. Spray 2 or 3 times in each nostril, but not more often than every 10 to 12 hours.
What happens if you use Afrin too much?
“If you use it once, your body will become dependent on it,” they say. While it’s not considered an “addiction” in the usual sense, your body can become dependent on the drug. Doctors call this phenomenon “rebound congestion,” or rhinitis medicamentosa, and it is a very real problem.
Is rebound congestion permanent?
And if you continue to use your nasal spray, this congestion can last for weeks or even months. There isn’t a test to formally diagnose rebound congestion. But if rhinitis medicamentosa is to blame, your symptoms should improve after you stop using the medication.
Is Afrin bad for your heart?
Cold and sinus medications that contain oxymetazoline (Afrin®), phenylephrine (Sudafed PE®, Neo-Synephrine®), or pseudoephedrine (Sudafed®) may also increase blood pressure.
What can I use instead of Afrin?
- Afrin (oxymetazoline) Prescription or OTC. 71% of people say it’s worth it.
- 4 alternatives.
- Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) Prescription or OTC. 82% of people say it’s worth it.
- Phenylephrine (phenylephrine) Prescription or OTC.
- Flonase (fluticasone) Prescription or OTC.
- Nasacort AQ (triamcinolone) Prescription or OTC.
How do you wean off Afrin?
- STOP the nasal decongestant spray use immediately (more rarely, one can try to wean off the afrin by diluting the concentration with saline by 25% on a daily basis)
- High dose prednisone starting at 60mg tapered slowly over ~2 weeks.
- Start steroid nasal spray AND anthistamine nasal spray use.
How can I permanently cure sinusitis?
- Nasal corticosteroids. These nasal sprays help prevent and treat inflammation.
- Saline nasal irrigation, with nasal sprays or solutions, reduces drainage and rinses away irritants and allergies.
- Oral or injected corticosteroids.
- Aspirin desensitization treatment, if you have reactions to aspirin that cause sinusitis.
Does Afrin raise blood pressure?
Topical nasal decongestants such as Afrin (oxymetazoline), Neo-Synephrine (phenylephrine), Privine (naphazoline), and Vicks VapoRub Inhaler (l-desoxyephedrine/levmetamfetamine) can also cause an increase in blood pressure.
Can Afrin cause shortness of breath?
Afrin side effects
ongoing or worsening symptoms; severe burning or stinging in your nose after using the nasal spray; chest pain, fast or uneven heart rate; or. severe headache, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, or feeling short of breath.
Can you use Afrin more than 3 days?
A. Nasal decongestant sprays like Afrin (oxymetazoline) have a clear warning: “Do not use for more than three days. Use only as directed. Frequent or prolonged use may cause nasal congestion to recur or worsen.”
When can you use Afrin again after 3 days?
You should follow the label directions precisely. Afrin nasal spray should not be used for more than three days at a time to avoid the development of a condition called rebound congestion (or rhinitis medicamentosa).
Will Afrin help post nasal drip?
Get fast, powerful nasal congestion relief. Our Afrin No Drip nasal spray formula won’t drip down nose or throat – targeting congestion and staying there: Delivers nasal congestion relief for 12 hours.